Manns Logo

Image Name
Descriptive text content will go here to explain whatever this thing happens to be.

1925 Isotta Fraschini

Cesare Isotta and Vincenzo Fraschini started building cars in 1899 in Italy. They concentrated on luxury cars after World War I.

This car was built in 1925, and it is a two-seat boattail with a tiny cockpit in the tail for a third person. The company claimed the vehicle could accelerate to a top speed of 90 miles-per-hour. The price to own one of these magnificent creations was around $20,000 new. The company did not survive the great depression.

The following Excerpt was taken from,
the current owner of the car.

1925 Isotta Fraschini 8AS

The Tipo 8 was built to be one of the worlds finest cars, and developed a splendid reputation. It was the first quantity production straight-eight in the world and sold well in North America. The block, in light-alloy sported a nine-bearing light-alloy crankcase as well. They were truly built without regrard to cost. At 5,902 cc( 6 litres) , it developed 80hp at 2200 rpm's.

This particular Corsica bodied Speedster has a facinating history. It was owned by an English family that wintered in South Africa. In the early thirties, the owner decided to have the Isotta rebodied with a Corsica boatailed two-seater as documented in Automotive Quarterly. It remained near Umhlanga Rock, Natal until 1949 when it was purchased by two brothers, one an engineer. After enjoying it for several years, the brothers decided to dismantle the mighty Isotta for restoration. All parts were labeled and packed in crates-- and would remain that way for 30 years.

In 1985 , after 5 years of restoration, the Isotta was once again on the road in South Africa. As you would expect, the engineer did a magnificant job with the restoration. The chassis and motor remain perfect and the body was removed this year to be refinished due to aging laquer paint Now ready, it was invited and will be shown at Pebble Beach on August 19, 2012.

There is extensive documentation with the car including original letters dating back to 1951 further documenting the history.